~ ONE JOURNEY ~


~ There is only one journey: going inside yourself. ~
- Rainer Maria Rilke



nel`chee

Tesseracts 11 ~ Friday, April 06, 2007



I just had word today that my story "Persephone's Library" has been chosen for inclusion in Tesseracts 11, an anthology of Canadian SF. Wooohooo! Contract to follow, etc.

I'm totally excited! I love that it'll have a longer shelf life cause it'll be in a book rather than a periodical. I love that it's an anthology, so the pressure's off in a way, since it's just one of many stories included--so I don't have to stress as much about questions like "what are the sell-throughs" (as I would be stressing with a print book that was just mine and mine alone). And I kind of find it amazing to imagine that the editors are Cory Doctorow and Holly Phillips--and that they actually read my story and liked it enough to want to include it. It's a tres cool thought.

Here's an excerpt from "Persephone's Library" (the opening passage):


This morning, I walked up past the new subdivision to the end of the
world. Or at least, to the beginning of the end, just at the edge of
the mud flats.

It's deceptive, when you stand there, where the asphalt breaks off in
that jaggedy line and the flats begin. They look like they spread out
forever, but actually, it's just a couple of hundred yards. And then
the world ends.

They've set up patrols along the edge at night, so people don't wander
out there accidentally and fall off. They also try to catch the
jumpers when they can, but they don't always succeed. People still
slip through.

Take this morning, for instance. I mean maybe I just got lucky, but
there was no-one in sight when I walked up. Even the watchers in the
houses along the edge weren't around. I could've just kept right on
going and maybe even jumped if I wanted to.

But I didn't. I just wanted to see the flats.

They look a little like I imagine a beach must have looked, back in
the day, except of course there would have been ocean, instead of
nothing.

::Posted by Anduril Elessar @ 11:28 PM::::

2 comments



P r o f i l e

Anduril Elessar
::aka::
Susan Deefholts

::my complete profile::

I n v o c a t i o n

"O for a Muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention..."

- william shakespeare

R e l e a s e s






F o o t p r i n t s

Wallace Wu and Cynthia Dale
Covering Joel with Perfect Pitch
New cover design
Je me souviens: Houston
An Experiment
Da Capo Review and other things
Yeesh!
Latest Review: Wellington Winds
The Thirteenth Tale
Latest Review

L i n k s

::my alter ego blog::
::now reading/watching blog::
::jorrie's blog::
::tamara's blog (rhymes with camera)::
::margin:exploring modern magical realism::

~ my photo sites ~
::picasa::
::flickr::
::webshots::

M e m o r i e s


:: December 2004 :: December 2005 :: January 2006 :: February 2006 :: March 2006 :: April 2006 :: May 2006 :: June 2006 :: August 2006 :: September 2006 :: October 2006 :: December 2006 :: January 2007 :: February 2007 :: March 2007 :: April 2007 :: May 2007 :: June 2007 :: July 2007 :: August 2007 :: September 2007 :: January 2008 :: February 2008 :: March 2008 :: April 2008 :: May 2008 :: June 2008 :: August 2008 :: September 2008 :: October 2008 :: December 2008 :: January 2009 :: February 2009 :: March 2009 :: April 2009 ::

C r e d i t s

style in obscuro

image from DayDreamGraphics.com

html coding by Ning

V i e w ' D



Free Blog Counter